Welcome to the Works

Due to grad school, jobs, etc., I haven't written much lately in the way of "fine art". Hopefully soon. However, feel free to search for newspaper articles at http://www.paloaltoonline.com/.



I also do freelance writing, editing, and general word-marketing for a variety of clients. Soon, I'll get myself a real site with more recent and more pertinent samples with which to advertise my services.



If you are new here, and you are a creative nonfiction person(which you should be), try out the essays "Reductions in Force," which is my personal favorite, "In Exile," for Russian types, and "The Cave," which has received a small honor or two (one). If you prefer fiction, I would probably refer you to "The Lady of the House". However, "Superior" has won multiple awards, so evidently people like it.



NOTICE: If you are a plagiarizer, please don't plagiarize me.

The Trans-Siberian Railroad (poem)

Author's note: This is one of only two poems of mine that I actually like. On long train rides through Siberia, when everyone else was asleep, I often found myself staring out the window at night and watching the little villages pass by. It's something I still think of sometimes. How I'd love to go back there and actually visit the people in those places, and see what it's like. Someday, maybe I will.

We pile the extra horse blankets

in front of the heater to stop the flow

of Russian over-compensation

and the gentle undulation

that now has lulled

my colleagues to sleep on narrow sleds

folded out of the edge

of a room unforgiving and metallic as the

clanging of the rails, gaps in them swollen

and contracted by the bitter cold that builds

unhindered.


no hills,


no towns,


no trees,


If not for the pervading darkness,

I’d see the pole. But no-

just a gloss of flaky water

many meters high, and hardened

by months of inactivity- a state

where life cannot survive under suffocating

blankets- a forever sleeping land.

Every couple of hours, a town

approaches and then passes quickly as the

flicker in the lantern of a man

who dons his fox and then his bear

to dutifully prepare to venture out,

the only time today, into the deep

to retrieve unfrozen water from the pump,

then woodenly step back

into his icy little hovel,

where no blankets go unused.

No comments: